Originally constructed as the Aberdeen Packing Company Store by owner B.A. Seaborg, the Doupé Building was completed in 1896 just two years after the Markham Home had been built on the same site and quickly relocated. The store served the area for two decades until it was purchased in 1919 by brothers Joe and Harry Doupé. Known as The Doupé Brothers Hardware since that time, the general mercantile offered a wide selection of hardware, dry goods, and ready-to-wear items. Ideally located at the main intersection of Ilwaco and at the beginning of the narrow gauge railway, the store’s prosperity enabled it to expand several times in support of the growing community, creating the first modern department store in Ilwaco. The Doupé Brothers Hardware operated in various iterations until the mid-1990’s. Generations of residents and visitors to the Long Beach Peninsula alike share treasured memories of the building and its offerings, as well as admiration of its distinctive architecture.